Pages

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Plain Dosa/ Sada Dosa

Print  Friendly and PDF
BM14: Day2:  I can't believe I don't have the recipe for this "Omnipresent Dosa". Perhaps because I am taking it for granted as I have been eating it since..forever. TamilNadu, where I was born and brought-up until I moved to the US some 15+ yrs ago,  is well known around the world for its temples, hot weather, Idli and Dosa.

I can tell you plenty of things about dosa. But I am afraid that if I start I can go on and on. If I ask my Brother-In-Law he could tell a bigger tale since he ate dosa as breakfast for 5 years straight. Sister tried hard to convince him that there are other equally delicious, if not better options and now he "appears" to be convinced. He is willing to try oatmeal and croissants with marmalade. But they always have Dosa batter in the house. So do we. :). Dosa has a way of spinning some powerful magic on the taste-buds.
Ingredients:
For the Dosa Batter:
  • 2 Cups Parboiled Rice +  1 Tsp Fenugreek Seeds , soaked overnight
  • 2 Cups Raw Rice,soaked overnight
  • 3/4 Cup Whole Black Gram/Black Lentil/Urad Dhal
  • Handful of Flattened Rice "Poha"
  • A little salt
  • A pinch of Soda 
Procedure:
  • Grind the rice separately with water as needed. Add the poha to any one of the rice while grinding. Grind the Lentil to a smooth paste. One can use a heavy-duty blender or an "Indian Wet-Grinder", like the one in the picture.
  • Mix the rice batter and Lentil batter into a large bowl/pail(As you let the batter ferment overnight, they double in volume). Add a little salt and soda. Stir the batter and place it in a warm spot to ferment overnight. 
  • The fermented batter is frothy and ready to be made into a dosa.  Take a small portion of the batter and add little water. The batter shouldn't be too thick nor too runny.
  • Pour a ladle of batter on spray some oil around the edges and over the top.
  • Cover the griddle with a dome-lid and let it cook under and over for a minute on medium flame. For the Plain Dosa, no need to flip. Just fold and serve.
  • Extra addition1: Egg Dosa: Do this right after the spreading the dosa on the griddle - Crack open an egg, Pour over the dosa batter and smear it evenly.Grind some pepper on top. This will have to be flipped so the eggs can cook.
  • Extra addition2: Onion Dosa: Sprinkle some chopped onions on top and press it into the batter with a spatula. This will have to be flipped so the onions can cook.Do this right after you spread the batter. The batter must be a little thick.
  • Dosa goes very well with innumerable side dishes, vegetarian and non-vegetarian. Chutneys, sambhar, kurma, kuzhambhu are all excellent choices. The day I took the photo, I ate it with Lamb Curry.
Enjoy!
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

20 comments:

  1. Yummy dosas.. can make so many variations..

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me to make dose batter. Its been a while since I had dosai.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi CL, my family also makes them with eggs n the variations you have mentioned n chilas(softer n thicker dosas) with Paye ka salan my mom makes is my favourite, looks good

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our fav combo is always masala dosa with peanut chutney :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. we have a plain roti in the Caribbean called Sadha Roti. I wonder if it originated from this, but ours is made with yeast. I actually did a posting with the recipe some time ago:
    http://gourmetglobal.blogspot.com/2010/11/november-2010-ingredient-of.html

    Mireille

    ReplyDelete
  6. loved the clicks.. plain dosa or with any variation, i am game for it all time :) good to know temple visit has had a calming effect.. :)

    Ongoing Event : I'm The Star

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me too recently realised I do not have the basic Idly dosa recipes. Clicked few pics of the batter making process.Should do it !!

    Dosa and spicy gravies yum !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The dosa looks awesome, the egg(mutta) dosa is also one that my hubby likes and is a popular dish at most thattu kadas(street stalls) in Kerala. Lovely presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Superb! Loved that idea of egg dosa. Will surely try it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks so yummy. I just made dosas over the weekend. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hehehhe..that's what happens..and then you find out you don't have..dosas have come out so well..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a bunch for your valuable comments and continued support.They are very much appreciated. Yes,like "Rain on Dry Land" and like "Oasis in Desert Sand".
XoXo, Cool Lassi(e)