Pages

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Vanilla and Lime Pound Cake

Print  Friendly and PDF
I know I have been neglecting my space again but I have a valid reason:: My in-laws have arrived for a short stay and we as a family have been busy spending quality time with each other and of-course with "sightseeing". You see, my in-laws don't care for the cold climes and that means we have to see as much as we can before the leaves start falling and the temperature starts dropping in the New England Area(which I have been calling home for quite sometime). Ahem, by cold climes I mean anything below 75 degrees F. Well, they are from the Southern part of India where there are only two kinds of weather -- Hot and Hotter. Nope, make it three- Hot, Hotter and Hottest. No Kidding! So I hope you folks understand why I am under a severe time-crunch to show them places.Yup Yup, plenty of places to go and sights to see. :-).

Since you'll have been so kind and understanding,I have decided to share "a picture" of our jaunt(s) for the next seven days so you readers don't feel completely left out. Its only fair that I show you'll a glimpse of what I see, methinks! So where have I taken them so far?We have been in a "NY state of mind" and have checked out quite a few spots in the Empire state. But let me tell you that having a 3-yr old tag along has slowed us down drastically due to scenarios like this -- Hey mom, I want to see that dirty water in that storm drain (and every storm drain). Hey dad, I want to go Pee-Pee, right now! Mom, I want french fries, right now! And plenty of "Poo Poo" false-alarms. Needless to say, its been quite a thrill ride.

With all this happening, it is indeed a big surprise that I have taken some time to participate in the 8th edition of Blogging Marathon for the theme "Cooking/Baking from Scratch". What can I say, its addictive. Its going to be so much fun cause I have thought long and hard to come up with 7 exquisite recipes that are really made from scratch. Since my son is a pound cake(and marble cake) fanatic, I decided to make a summery(read citrus-y) version of the pound cake with plenty of Lime Zest and Lime Juice to take with us when we go on excursions and such. My exuberant 3-yr old lovesssssss this cake. Even more than the Entenmann's Pound Cake that he usually prefers. But he remains loyal to the Zebra Cake that I make for him now and then. 

So how do you like it? Doesn't it look gorgeous? Perfect to enjoy with a spot of tea or by itself!  Base Recipe Courtesy: Chow.Com
As promised, I am attaching a picture from our first trip.Can you guess where this is? Its the Corning museum of Glass(the largest Glass museum in the world BTW) and this glass structure is called the "Fern Green Tower". Impressive,right?My son wanted to touch it. I said no, So he wanted to "kick" it. That is not impressive!
Ingredients:
  • 1-3/4 Cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
  • 1-1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
  • 3/4 Tsp kosher Salt
  • 2 Sticks/8 Oz Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
  • 5 Large Eggs, at room temperature
  • 3/4 Cup Granulated Sugar (Add 1/4 Cup more if you like it really sweet)
  • 1 Tbsp Finely Grated Lime Zest
  • 1 Tbsp Good quality Vanilla Extract
For the Glaze:
  • 3 Tbsp Freshly Squeezed Lime Juice
  • 1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar or 1/2 Cup Honey
Procedure:
  • Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Sift the flour in a wide bowl along with baking powder. Add Salt  to it. Set aside.
  • Using a stand mixer or a hand mixer, cream butter and sugar at medium high for about a minute or two.
 
  • Add the eggs one at a time to the butter and sugar mixture and incorporate.
  • Add the dry mixture to the egg mixture in small batches and mix only till combined. Pour the Vanilla Extract and add the Lime Zest. Gently mix.
  •  Line a 9 X 5 X 3 inch loaf pan with aluminum foil. Grease with a little oil or butter. Transfer the batter from the bowl to the pan.Bake at 350 degrees F for 55-60 minutes.
  • Meanwhile make the glaze by boiling the sugar and the lime juice for about 7-10 minutes on a medium flame.
  • Transfer the sticky glaze to a bowl.
  • Once the toothpick comes clean, remove the cake from the oven.Prick at several places over the top with toothpick.
  • Baste the top of the cake with the syrup until all of it is absorbed.Let the cake rest in the loaf pan for atleast 3-4 hours before removing it from the pan.
  • Slice the cake loaf with a sharp serrated knife and have it with a spot of tea.
Note:
  • The cake tastes better the following day after it has absorbed all the syrup basted on the top. If you refrigerate overnight bring it back to room temperature before serving the cake. The cake tastes best at room temperature.
Enjoy!
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

34 comments:

  1. yum!...lime added...makes it soo good...citrusy! fragrant too! looks rice and delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, that pound cake looks absolutely awesome. Would love to give it a try.

    I can understand tagging along a 3 year old and how that goes. Have fun with in-laws and enjoy your trips :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the MOST gorgeous looking pound cake! Wish I lived near you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum yum.. the cake looks mouthwatering!

    Enjoy your time with the family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pound cake looks gorgeous!
    A 3 yr old tagging along is lot of fun. I keep joking that I know where the restrooms are in each and every store in our area, thanks to my lil one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy pound cake! Fern green tower is gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pound cake looks moist and wonderful. I want a piece of that yumminess NOW.. :-) I know what you are going through with your 3 year old -- we have the same situation too.
    Looking forward to your creations from scratch this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We've been missing you! But I think you've more than made up for it with this pound cake. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. pound cakes are one of my fav cakes... Can we use carnation milk in making it??? I have seen recipes using it...I would love to try ur version too..looks gorgeous... the pictures are stunning...

    ReplyDelete
  10. well..this is really really good..lovely pics..n i can imagine the flavor...can b made eggless?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wowww... looks so soft and perfect.. love the presentation too.. thanks for the recipe :)
    Indian Cuisine

    ReplyDelete
  12. truly addictive.. I can almost smell the lemony twist ;-) I really wish it can be made eggless CL. Do you think I could use condensed milk or maybe flax seed powder?


    Cheers
    Kalyani
    New Event: Fasting Foods – Vrat ka Khaana Special
    Event: healthy Lunchbox ideas – Carrots – all this August

    ReplyDelete
  13. CL, looking at your pound cake, I seriously wish it was eggless!..but I know the eggless version may not have that texture I can see..lovely picture from your sightseeing..great that you managed to do the BM with your hectic schedule..enjoy and do share more..

    ReplyDelete
  14. I fond always for pound cake, feel like having a slice seriously, fabulous fern green tower..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Vaishali, Kalyani and Srivalli: I have never attempted to make an eggless version of this cake. But @ehow.com they have mentioned how one can make a really good pound cake sans the eggs. Check this out:http://www.ehow.com/how_5620638_bake-good-pound-cake-eggs.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Shammi: Come on over. I live just across the pond. I will bake you some! Tx for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Suhaina: I have never tried that version before and that tempted me enough to go and google it. Here is a recipe that does use Carnation Milk-http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,186,146178-235194,00.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a perfect cake to have with a nice cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Perfectly baked,cake looks superb and flavorful..

    ReplyDelete
  20. CL Loved your pound cake...My in-laws are also here with me...I love your cake so much that I might make this for my in-laws. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. The cake looks spongy and soft.
    That fern structure is very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  22. @Sanchita: They will definitely love it! Pound cake tastes even better the following day when the cake has a chance of absorbing all the syrup basted on the top.Enjoy! Let me know how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Utterly soft pound cake. Looks so good Lassie. Have cool fun with your in-laws !!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yum! Love the flavours lime and vanilla.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gotta watery mouth nw... was waiting for this receipe..planning to try it out tomorr...

    ReplyDelete
  26. That looks totally delish CL! lovee citrussy cakes and desserts too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a bunch for your valuable comments and continued support.They are very much appreciated. Yes,like "Rain on Dry Land" and like "Oasis in Desert Sand".
XoXo, Cool Lassi(e)